2024 PRMIA Risk Management Challenge
The PRMIA Risk Management Challenge is a case competition that empowers undergraduate and graduate students by taking them beyond the classroom and giving them exposure to real-world business situations. The Challenge offers students the opportunity to apply the concepts they have learned and showcase their knowledge, critical thinking skills, leadership, and presentation abilities while competing to win a US$10,000 prize. We are grateful to the following PRMIA Chapters for their support and participation in the Challenge: Bangalore, Boston, Chicago, Dusseldorf, Egypt, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, London, Montreal, Netherlands, New York, Russia, Toronto, and Vancouver.
The Risk Management Challenge presents teams of three to four students with a case study, drawn from a real-life business scenario, over three rounds of competition. Students say one of the highlights of their experience is the chance to grow their professional network and gain insight into the risk industry as they meet with students, faculty, and risk leaders from around the world. Additional benefits include:
- The winning team will receive a cash award of up to US$10,000.
- The top two teams will receive scholarships for the Professional Risk Manager (PRM™) Designation (US$1,430 value per student).
- Each team that qualifies for the international championship will receive a one-year PRMIA Sustaining Membership for each team member ($US225 value per student), including digital access to risk management resources, special member pricing on competency-focused credentialing along with learning and development programs, online risk resources, local and global connectivity to peers, and career building tools.
- Teams are given the opportunity to apply for a complimentary license of MATLAB to use for competition purposes.
For additional information
and to learn more about the competition rules and structure, view the Program Handbook
and the two recent case studies: National Australia Bank and Long-Term Capital Management. All three rounds of the 2024 Challenge will be conducted virtually.
You are invited to watch a video
of the 2021 champions, The Big Four from the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, as they present their solution to the National Australia Bank case study.
We are grateful to MathWorks for its global sponsorship support of this popular PRMIA initiative, now in its 11th year. MathWorks is providing complimentary licenses of MATLAB to teams to provide data analytic support to their case study analysis.
|Early registration deadline extended (Early registration encouraged to allow early access to case study)
||November 13, 2023
|Case study and MATLAB Challenge disseminated to teams
||November 13, 2023 (ongoing thereafter)
|Final registration deadline
||January 2, 2023
|Preliminary round deadline (Executive summary of case solution)
||January 14, 2024
|Regional finalists announced
||January 22, 2024
|Regional round deadline (Executive summary, PowerPoint presentation, and MATLAB Challenge solution)
||February 13, 2024
|Regional round competition (Virtual events and/or in person)
||February 18-24, 2024 (Varies by location)
|International round finalists named & questions disemminated to finalist teams (Includes 1 - 2 additional questions)
||February 29 , 2023
| International Round Executive Summary and PowerPoint presentation due
||March 11, 2024
|International finals championship In Person, MathWorks offices, Boston, MA, USA
||March 21, 2024, 2023
|Past Participating Chapters
Students from across any of the following areas of study are encouraged to participate: finance, economics, mathematics, business or commerce, accounting, and marketing. There are no coursework prerequisites.
- Registration is open to graduate and undergraduate students who are actively enrolled.
- Team members must use their university-affiliated email address to show proof of student status.
- Teams must consist of three to four students.
- Teams may be formed among students enrolled in different universities.
- Team members submit a resume or CV, which is shared with sponsors and potential employers for professional networking purposes.
- Teams are highly encouraged to work with a mentor to maximize the learning experience afforded by the competition. Guidelines regarding mentor involvement are included in the Program Handbook.
- To register your team, one team member should sign in at the bottom of this page, select "Register Myself" and enter required information fields for the team. If you are not already a PRMIA member, you will need to create a free account to complete your registration.
- Once complete, select "Save Response" then "Proceed to Check-out" to pay the team registration fee ($100 per team by November 13, 2023; $200 per team after November 13, 2023). Final registration deadline is December 13, 2023.
- You will receive a confirmation email upon completing your registration, which includes a link to upload your team CVs.
- The case study for the preliminary round will be disseminated to all registered teams on November 13, 2023, or upon registration thereafter.
- The regional round competitions and international finals will be conducted virtually for the 2024 Challenge.
- Contact Catherine Oneil at [email protected] or Sara Lepp at [email protected] with any questions.
|Thank You to Our Sponsors
2024 Global Sponsor