2020 PRMIA Risk Management Challenge
The Risk Management Challenge is a case competition that empowers undergraduate and graduate students by taking them beyond the classroom and giving them exposure to real-world business situations. The Challenge offers students the opportunity to apply the concepts they have learned and showcase their knowledge, critical thinking skills, leadership, and presentation abilities while competing to win a US$10,000 prize. We are grateful to our global sponsor, MathWorks, for its support of this popular PRMIA initiative, now in its 6th year.
The Risk Management Challenge presents teams of three to four students with a case study, drawn from a real-life business scenario, over three rounds of competition. Students say one of the highlights of their experience is the chance to grow their professional network and gain insight into the risk industry as they meet with students, faculty, and risk leaders from around the world. Additional benefits include:
- The winning team will receive a cash award of up to US$10,000.
- The top two teams will receive scholarships for the Professional Risk Manager (PRM™) Designation (US$1,430 value per student).
- Each team that qualifies for the international championship will receive a one-year PRMIA Sustaining Membership for each team member ($US200 value per student), including digital access to The Wall Street Journal, special member pricing on competency-focused credentialing along with learning and development programs, online risk resources, local and global connectivity to peers, and career building tools.
- Teams can apply for a complimentary license of MATLAB to use for competition purposes.
For additional information
about the competition and to learn more about the rules and structure, view the Program Handbook
. You may also view two sample case studies: Example 1
and Example 2
|Final registration deadline
||January 30, 2020
|Preliminary round challenge (Case study solution submitted online)
||January 10 - February 11, 2020
|Regional finalists announced
||February 20, 2020
|Regional competitions hosted by chapters (Team presentations)
||March 23 - 27, 2020 (Varies by location)
|International round challenge (Expanded set of questions)
||March 30 - April 14, 2020
|International championship hosted by MathWorks conducted virtually (Team presentations)
||April 20, 2020
Students from across any of the following areas of study are encouraged to participate: finance, economics, mathematics, business or commerce, accounting, and marketing. There are no coursework prerequisites.
- Registration is open to graduate and undergraduate students who are actively enrolled.
- Team members must use their university-affiliated email address to show proof of student status.
- Teams must consist of three to four students.
- Team members submit a resume or CV, which is shared with sponsors and potential employers for professional networking purposes.
- Select "Register Myself" and enter required information fields.
- Once complete, select "Save Response" then "Proceed to Check-out" to pay the team registration fee ($200 per team).
- You will receive a confirmation email upon completing your registration, which includes a link to upload your team CVs.
- The case study for the preliminary round will be disseminated to all registered teams on January 10, 2020 or upon registration thereafter.
- Teams who qualify to participate in the regional round and/or international championship are required to cover their own travel costs. You are encouraged to check with your college or university regarding available funding to offset any travel expenses.
- Contact Jill Ische at [email protected] with any questions or to request an extension to the registration deadline.
|Thank You to Our Sponsors
2020 Global Sponsor
In-Kind Scholarship Support for International Finalists